Friday, April 13, 2007

Reverse Psychology

It's funny - as a parent, I find myself doing whatever I can to manipulate my 2-year-old into doing what I ask him to do. Sometimes this means employing reverse psychology, as in, "Connor, you had better not brush your teeth before bed! Don't do it!" Invariably, he sets out to do that which has been forbidden. I like to think that he picks up on the playful tone of voice I use and responds accordingly, but I can never be sure. Is he being playful, or just stubborn? Maybe it's better not to know...

In any case, it has worked without a hitch. "Connor, don't go to the bathroom before we leave the house!" "Connor, don't go and get your pj's!" This trick tends to work on our boy.

This morning, however, Connor became aware of this tactic. We had just given him a shower and I asked him to go and get his clothes (by telling him that he had better not do so). He started to respond that he sure would go get them, but instead he stopped after the first few words, looked at me with a twinkle in his eye, and said, "Daddy no go get my clothes! Don't do it!"

It's all downhill from here...

No comments: