Sunday, July 19, 2009

A Baby Story

So...I know not everyone wants to hear the gory details but for posterity sake I want to write it down. Tristan was very comfy in my tummy but wasn't growing at a steady rate inside. I measured small like always, my belly stops growing at 33cm. So my doctor, being very thorough, did a few ultrasounds near the end. The baby wasn't growing steadily and actually declining from 69% to 44% to 20% within 4 weeks. So, he decided based on that and the convenience of scheduling that he'd induce me Thursday night July 16th. We got the the hospital and around 11pm I was 2cm+ and they gave me cervidell. The next morning, around 8:30-9, I'd made little if any progress and wasn't having contractions either so they broke my water and started pitocin. Things picked up from there. Scott helped distract me by watching a movie with me and then we played phase 10. I decided to go for a walk around the halls hoping it would speed things up. By then things were getting more intense. I made it walking for and hour and around noon I asked them to check me because I was in a lot of pain. They practically broke my heart when they told my I was 3cm. I knew I couldn't handle much more and so I gave in and opted for an epidural. That was over with within the next hour. When asked how it was helping, I told him I was still feeling a lot. He insisted it was pressure and not pain that I was feeling. I could tell it definitely took the edge off what I had been feeling so I believed him and hoped it would get better and better as time when on. No such luck for me. It got worse and worse and within about 40 min I felt as bad as I did before and started feeling like I needed to push. The nurse checked me and said, "oh, your and 8 or 9!" and called my doctor to get him on his way. She asked me to try pushing to see how it felt, and as soon as I tried she and Scott in sync yelled, "STOP!" They baby was pretty far up but apparently was coming down nicely and after huffing and puffing away the urge to push for about 10-15 min my doctor was finally ready and with one contraction baby Tristan was born. Needless to say I felt EVERYTHING (minus a little of the edge off the pain) but thankfully he came fast. He was perfect! The hospital was kinda hectic right at the moment I delivered and so my nurse was like a one woman show helping my doctor and taking care of the baby. It seemed like forever until she gave him to me to hold. He was a feisty little thing. He cries so cute! When he gets real mad he makes this squeaking noise we think is kind of like a guinea pig. He was 6lbs 9oz. The boys came to meet him that night and they love him. Haydn is very gentle and sweet with him and Connor is already a pro at holding him. Today Connor said, "The reason I wanted a baby was so I could show you how gentle I can be." Bringing the baby home today was so surreal. I can't believe he's here. In the car Haydn said to Tristan,"I bring you to our home and I show you your room Tristan." Then in a mock Tristan voice he followed with "OK!" It was really cute. Welcome home little guy!
For fun here's a pic of me the day before I had him, 37 weeks 2 days, and then here's more pics from after the delivery and the boys meeting him for the first time.






5 comments:

Jenn said...

He's beautiful Jenn. Congrats to you all and welcome to the 3 boys club! :) Sorry the delivery was so tough--I can absolutely relate there, but how wonderful that you are all home and he's so perfect.

Natalie said...

I love the story! I wish I had put mine up! But I wrote it down somewhere else at least. He is sooo beautiful! I am so sad I can't hold him, I get excited for more babies when i see them!!!

Brittanie said...

Oh Jenn. He is SO adorable! I feel so sad that I can't love on him. I hate it that the epidurals don't work for you! NOT FUN! I'm glad he's here and so perfect! Love ya!

deb said...

Too cute,Jenny. I miss you too much. Visit Me!!!



~Miranda~
(ur fav. cus)

april said...

love, love, love that pic of connor and tristan. congrats!!!

(i found your blog through analia). hope you are resting well and your mommy is taking good care of you.